Tuesday 25 November 2008

Announcing XAGE

Hi,

It's about time I started a development blog for this sort of thing.

I'm developing a SCUMM-esque engine for adventure games using the XNA framework. Eventually I hope to release an indie game via the recently launched Xbox Live Community Games service.

Development is going well and I'm about 60-70% complete on the engine itself. Here's a quick clip showcasing the engine (using placeholder MI2 graphics):



Alongside development of the engine, I'm also making a tool for the creation of the game content. In my opinion it's very easy to use and requires no actual programming or even scripting knowledge in order to create characters, rooms, objects, events etc. Here's a screengrab:

Photobucket

I'm hoping that there'll be interest in the eventual release of this tool in order for people to make their own Point 'n Click games for my engine. Games could be released for the PC, Xbox360 and Zune, but not any other formats as the XNA framework does not support this.

I'm trying to figure out what sort of model to use, either:
a) Collaborate: Find a pixel artist and possibly a composer with whom to make XBLCG games and share the profits.
b) License: Release the engine and content tool free for non-commercial use, licensed for commercial use (i.e. either an one-off payment or a percentage of revenue - probably the latter as coughing up money upfront tends to put people off)

Any feedback/suggestions/questions welcome.

No comments: